Published on 18th July 2018
Keeping yourself relevant is extremely important to ensure that you can compete effectively in the job market. You need to constantly look for ways to improve your skills and remain current with the latest trends in the market. This is especially true in Marketing, where new developments and trends grow quickly. One of our candidates shares his experience as he makes an exciting career move and how his journey has progressed into an area that he loves, which is creative design. Read more on his story:
1. Tell us about your current role and how you came across this opportunity?
I’m currently a Digital Marketing Manager and my role sees me involved in Paid Per Click (PPC) advertising, web design, and development. I was initially approached by Cian, my Ambition consultant, through a phone call where he introduced me to a Creative Designer role!
2. How do you see yourself developing/potentially developing from this career move? In what way has Ambition helped you in your journey as a marketing professional?
I've always seen myself working in a Creative Agency as my next career move - even though my past work experiences hasn’t shown much of that. Cian has a very astute eye for detail as a Consultant. I'd say Ambition has helped me find my way and opened up this career path for me through him!
3. In your opinion, what are the trends that you observe in the marketing space? What are critical skills you think marketing professionals should arm themselves with?
All marketing professionals should be well-versed in digital marketing, as compared to traditional marketing. Research has shown that more than ever, ads are being run on the digital space - it is only wise for marketing professionals to build a good understanding of it. After all, that's where the money's at.
4. How do you stay abreast of the latest trends and technology within the marketing space?
I read tech blogs and magazines like TechCrunch and Wired almost every day. YouTube is also a great way to learn more about the latest marketing tools.
5. Could you share with us a bit more about the challenges and highlights of your career?
Keeping up with the latest tools, technology, and trends can be overwhelming. There is always something new growing on the horizon.
6. What is the biggest learning that you’ve taken away during your time as a marketing professional?
Never stop reading and learning. You'll be left out if you stop, and it will be difficult to catch up.
by Cian O'Neill